WHERE SHOULD I PHOTOGRAPH?
Where to Take Your Look Outside Photos
Look Outside invites everyone to explore our region for the next year, photograph what you see and experience, share your images and video clips, and possibly be part of a 2015 community tour to celebrate the heart of the Kootenays.
The Look Outside initiative and photo contest focuses on the geographic centre of the Kootenay region—the Purcell Mountains, and the broad sweep of river valleys to the east and west. As the Purcells transition to the Selkirk Mountains, we are prepared to be generous about the boundaries for the contest; after all landscapes are never rigid, with wildlife, water, and wild places blending into adjacent mountain ranges and valleys.
We invite photography from throughout the Kootenays, with a special emphasis on the landscape between Creston and Golden, linking Kianuko Park to St. Mary's Alpine Park and the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy to Glacier National Park.
Many of the scenic and ecological gems in this landscape are outside existing protected areas, but serve as vital links for wildlife connectivity and ecosystem health—not to mention favoured places for people to recreate and experience the wild. Whether it's Shangri-La, Lake of the Hanging Glacier, the Columbia Wetlands, Thunderwater Lake, Mt. Brewer, or countless other cherished places, we live in a beautiful and varied landscape.
Invitation to Photograph Featured Special Places
Looking for ideas on what areas to photograph? We invite you to explore and submit pictures from wherever you choose in the Kootenay region. In addition, the Look Outside team has some special places we hope to feature in the multi-media presentation and community tour next year:
From north to south...
· International Basin and McMurdo Creek
· Upper Bugaboo watersheds, Bugaboo Pass
· Frances Creek watershed, including Shangri La, McLean Lake, Buster Lake
· Columbia Wetlands and Rocky Mountain Trench
· Forester Creek, including Irish and Welsh Lakes, Northstar and Catamount Glaciers, Thunderwater Lake
· Upper Horsethief watershed, including Stockdale Creek, Lake of the Hanging Glacier, Farnham Glacier
· Glacier and Howser Creek watersheds
· Jumbo Pass and Jumbo Creek, Toby Creek tributaries
· Brewer Creek watershed and Brewer Mountain
· St. Mary River watershed