TERMS & CONDITIONS
Look Outside Photo Contest Terms and Conditions
1. Wildsight, located in Kimberley, B.C., is the initiator and rights owner of the Look Outside initiative and the related photo contest taking place in 2014/2015. Wildsight is directly responsible for all legal and administrative aspects linked to the photo contest, as well as for the organization and delivery of the prizes.
2. Participation is free of charge and exclusively accessible online, through the Look Outside website.
3. The general terms and conditions of the Look Outside initiative and photo contest apply to both still photographs and video clips. However, the processes for submitting and reviewing still images and videos are different. Still photos are submitted to the Look Outside gallery, whereas video clips will be posted to Vimeo or YouTube. A link will be provided to the Look Outside organizers and jury, for judging and/or other use in the initiative.
4. Board members, staff and contractors of Wildsight are not eligible for prizes in the photo contest, but are welcome to participate in Look Outside by submitting photos for potential use in the community multi-media tour, other promotional uses by Wildsight, and posting to the Gallery or other media outlets. Participation in the Social (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) category of Look Outside is open to everyone.
5. Each participant may submit (via on-line uploading) up to 5 regular or Instagram-type pictures per month in the photo contest. In addition, participants may independently post unlimited numbers of images tagged #wildlookoutside in the Social category to Instagram, Twitter or Facebook.
6. Photos or video clips submitted for the Look Outside contest may also be selected for use in a multi-media presentation as part of a community tour in the Kootenay region, scheduled for 2015. Photos or videos that are not prize winners may be used in slide or video segments used for the tour, and photographers will be acknowledged in the credits.
7. The format of submitted pictures for the photo contest is TIFF or JPEG.
8. The minimum side length is 2000 pixels, and the file should be a minimum of 2 MB.
9. Submitted images should represent the original scene or subject as accurately as possible. Both global and selective (local) adjustments to white balance, exposure, contrast, sharpness, and colour are permitted, but should be directed towards reproducing the appearance of the scene or subject as seen through the camera's viewfinder or LCD screen. Excessive colour enhancement/saturation and overuse of High Dynamic Range (HDR) techniques are discouraged. No objects - other than artifacts of the photographic process itself (e.g., dust specks on the image sensor) - should be digitally removed from the image. No objects should be digitally added to the image. Image cropping is permitted, but is restricted by the minimum pixel dimensions as per guideline #8.
10. If a photo is chosen for a prize, or Wildsight wishes to request the use of a photo for other than audio-visual use, we will ask the photographer to provide a copy of the picture in a resolution of 2300 x 3500 pixel (20x30cm at 300dpi) or larger.
11. Pictures submitted for the contest may be published by the photographer elsewhere, including before submission to Look Outside. To be eligible for prizes, photos must be taken between June 15 2014 and May 31, 2015.
12. Images or video clips containing explicit nudity or vulgarity, violating public policy or accepted principles of morality will be excluded automatically from the contest. Each picture not corresponding to the theme and the motto of the photo contest will be excluded without further explanation by the jury.
13. All persons displayed in any of the pictures or videos that Wildsight chooses as winners, or for promotional/educational purposes, must have given their consent that the picture or video can be publicized or submitted in the contest. This consent must be provided by the author of the picture or video before a prize will be awarded. Non-compliance leads to exclusion from the contest. To this end, a PDF file of a simple model release form. The photographer and subjects must sign the form and return it to Wildsight to ensure the agreement is legally binding.
14. The image copyright remains totally with the photographer. By uploading the pictures, participants declare they are the sole owners of the copyrights and take full responsibility for clearing all possible copyright infringements to third parties in advance of participation in the Look Outside initiative and photo contest 2014/2015.
15. Wildsight and its partners are allowed to use the pictures within the constraints of the Look Outside initiative and photo contest, as well as for the on-going promotion of Wildsight's conservation and education programs. Wildsight will include the photographer’s name on photo credits with each use of the photo.
16. Even though submitting a picture automatically implies the consent of the participant with the Terms and Conditions of the Look Outside initiative and photo contest, it must be confirmed before submitting the pictures that the terms have been read and accepted.
17. Each uploaded picture will receive an identification number; each participant will get a confirmation e-mail from WeTransfer when the image(s) is received. Winning photos or other notable images will be posted in the Look Outside Photo Gallery.
18. Personal data entered by the participant in the online form will be used to contact the winners, to identify the creators of the corresponding pictures, for all communications related to the contest and for Wildsight news releases. Data will not be transferred to or shared with any third party. All Canadian privacy laws will be respected by the Look Outside initiative and by Wildsight.
19. There will be a monthly selection of the best photos. The chosen pictures will be published in the Gallery, on the Facebook site, or in public media such as newspapers and on-line media, on-line sponsor pages and other appropriate outlets determined by Wildsight.
20. Photos submitted to the "Social" part of the contest, meaning Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter may also find their way into other forms of media, such as Facebook or public media outlets.
21. The decisions of the photo contest jury are binding. The Look Outside organizers have appointed a three person jury.
22. Prizes are not transferable, not enforceable and legal action is ruled out. Monthly submissions are due by the last day of the month, and the monthly prizes will be announced by the 15th day of the following month, and grand and category prizes within two weeks of the contest's end. Other additional prizes or categories may be announced during the contest period.
23. The organizer, promoter and all subjects involved in the organization of the "Look Outside” 2014/2015 photo contest decline any responsibility for the following incidents: technical problems; general errors; erroneous deletion of data; missed functioning of communication devices, such as websites, during upload and transmission of the pictures, etc.; any problem deriving from missing data or information supplied by the participants; any injury, damage or harm to persons or things that can be caused in total or in part by the participation at the contest or related to the receipt of prizes; non-authorized use of the participants’ pictures.
24. Applicable law, place of jurisdiction and place of performance is Kimberley, BC and Canadian law will be applied.